South Africa 2018 - Day 1: UK to South Africa

I left home on my journey towards my 32nd country. I took the Transpennine express train bound for Manchester Airport and encountered a 15 minute delay. Because of this delay I then needed to change trains at Manchester Piccadilly for the final 10 minutes towards the airport. I arrived at the Terminal door around 25 minutes later than expected, but it was OK as I always allow myself plenty of extra time.

I proceeded to Terminal 3 to the British Airways bag drop to offload the suitcase. There was a quick 10 minute queue but nothing major. Then finishing off my bottle of water before making my way through the security area. My hand luggage was pulled to one side due to the amount of electronic equipment, but after a quick check I was on my way to the departure lounge. In total after the several minor delays I had around 40 minutes before the boarding gate was announced. This allowed me to use the toilet and grab some lunch.

Boarding started 5 minutes later than stated but again this wasn't a problem and is to be expected. My first of 3 flights in the next 24 hours took off heading to Heathrow for a 3 hour layover, the flight took less than 1 hour. I then needed to Change terminal which took 10 minutes on a shuttle bus before checking-in with Virgin Atlantic for the long haul overnight flight. This flight would be 11.5 hours to Johannesburg so I paid a little extra for emergency exit leg room. There were 2 meals onboard and I enjoyed both as they were very filling. I managed to get a couple of hours sleep before landing after sunrise.

Virgin Atlantic plane.

I disembarked in Johannesburg and had to collect my luggage. I was told initially it would go all the way to Cape Town, but I collected my suitcase and dropped it off at the Kulula desk. It was a little challenging to find but I got it sorted and cleared security with 40 minutes before boarding was due to start. This would be my final 2 hour flight to Cape Town to officially start the tour.
The flight was actually delayed boarding and arrived 20 minutes behind the scheduled time. But again I have time to pass before meeting the guide so it was fine, so i grabbed a small pizza for R31.90/£1.80 and waited patiently.

Kulula flight landing in Cape Town with Table Mountain in the distance.

A short while later I met the guide mid afternoon and 2 other people on the same tour who were transferring with me to the hotel. We checked in and had a quick briefing with half of the group to discuss options and plans for the first 3 days in Cape Town. We met later that evening and had dinner together as a full group of 22. I called it a day to get a good nights sleep as I had been awake for what felt like a day and a half at this point.

A video for this day can be found below:

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my travel Videos from 2014-2019

South America: Ep 03 - Valparaiso Day Trip

1 month to go until China!