Location: Iceland


I travelled to Iceland in the Autumn of 2015, this tour I booked can be found here. This was a total of 2 full days and 2 half days of activities but it was an enjoyable trip. I wish I had one more full day to perhaps explore further but I still feel I got my moneys worth.

Blue Lagoon

We landed on the first day at Keflavík airport and drove to the nearby Blue Lagoon. This is around a 20km drive from the airport and is one of Iceland's main tourist attractions. The water is warm around 37°C and contains Silica and Sulphur which is good for the skin. It was originally water waste from a geothermal power plant but in 1992 it was opened for public bathing.


We then travelled onto Reykjavik which is around another 40km further up the road.

Golden Circle Tour

The golden circle tour is the main tourist route in Iceland covering ground of about 300km. Early in the day we visited Gullfoss waterfall, which can be very windy but the view is amazing. I got a great shot of a rainbow forming whilst I was there.


We then moved onto Strokkur geyser in the late morning. This is where water shoots out of the ground every 7 minutes and up to 20m in height.

Waiting for the geyser to erupt.

We then took a break for lunch before moving on to Þingvellir(Thingvellir) National Park. This was the site of the Icelandic parliament from the 10th to 18th century. The park is in a valley between the North American and Eurasian tectonic plates.

Walking through Þingvellir National Park.

From here we went back to our hotel in Reykjavik which was a further 40km drive back into the city.

My video from this day can be found here:


Þórsmörk Valley

On my final full day i chose to go on a super jeep excursion to Þórsmörk(Thórsmörk Valley). Before we started the drive properly, we took a quick detour to the south coast to check out the black sandy beaches.

Super Jeep used for the excursion today.
We travelled through glacial water streams and various terrains to get to where we were going at the base of Eyjafjallajökull volcano. We exited the vehicle and took about an hours walk around and up the base of this area of the valley. You could see the amount of force from the volcano as there are rocks and ash scattered all over the place.

The base of the volcano in Thórsmörk Valley.

On the return journey back to Reykjavik we stopped off at another waterfall. This one was called Seljalandsfoss and is unique because you can walk behind it for some great photos.

Seljalandsfoss waterfall.
My video from this day can be found here:


Reykjavik

My final morning I took a stroll around the town centre of Reykjavik before sunrise. I walked along the harbour area and checked out the Hallgrimskirkja church. I went to the top to view the colourful rooftops in Iceland. I then went back to the hotel ready for my pickup to the airport.

Hallgrimskirkja church.

My video from around Reykjavik can be found here:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my travel Videos from 2014-2019

South America: Ep 03 - Valparaiso Day Trip

1 month to go until China!