Asia 2017 - Day 12: Tokyo Sightseeing

I left my luggage at the hotel as it was still too early to check-in and made my way onto Tokyo Metro ready to explore.

Ueno Park


My first stop of the day was in Ueno Park. When I originally left home I wasn't planning on coming here so it was a last minute decision. There was also some light rain in the air but that wasn't going to deter me. I saw a small baseball park inside which looked very well maintained as I understand it is one of Japan's most popular sports. From here I went back to the metro and headed towards the Tokyo Skytree.

Tokyo Skytree


As soon as I arrived in the area departing the metro I saw a group of people who had rented some Mario like go karts. From what I understand the company is called Maricar and you will need a driving license if you want to do this while in Tokyo. The Skytree tower itself was just in the distance and is an observation deck, broadcasting and restaurant tower. In 2010 it was the tallest structure in the world but has since been beaten by Dubai's Burj Khalifa. There were also some cruises departing from this area but as it was raining it wasn't a very favourable day to do so.

Tokyo Skytree

Meiji Shrine


Meiji Shrine is a Shinto shrine located in the Shibuya area. Construction on the shrine was completed in 1920 and was dedicated to Emperor Meiji and Empress Shoken. Some of the shrine was actually under renovation whilst i visited but I was still able to get some photos.

Meiji Shrine

Shibuya Crossing


I was hoping to get here just before the light faded to get both sunlight and night time shots. I arrived at dusk however which wasn't all bad as it was very busy, which is exactly what makes this crossing so special. I people watched for about 15 minutes recording here and it really is something amazing to see in person just how busy it is. I made my way up some stairs inside one of the buildings to get a better vantage point and take some photos and videos from a different perspective. From here I made my way back to my hotel for the night, but not before getting a quick photo of the Tokyo Dome.

My video from this day can be found here:

 

Next Day: Mount Fuji, Lake Ashi, Hakone Cable Car and Shinkansen high-speed train to Kyoto

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my travel Videos from 2014-2019

South America: Ep 03 - Valparaiso Day Trip

1 month to go until China!