Asia 2017 - Day 15: Arashiyama

The rain had unfortunately greeted me for my last full day in Japan. But I was determined to get the 3 things I had planned at home for today completed.

Fushimi Inari-taisha Shrine


The first of which was Inari Shrine which is just 2 stops on the JR Nara line from Kyoto station. This took just 5 minutes to get there and cost only ¥140Yen (£1). The trains run every 15 minutes and the admission for this popular shrine is free. I arrived around 9am so it was just starting to get busy but it is actually open 24 hours a day. To walk all the way up to the top is around 4 kilometres. I chose to walk to point 6/7 on the map as it had a good viewing point of Kyoto. I then walked back to Inari station for the journey to Saga-Arashiyama station. This cost ¥240Yen (£1.60) and requires a change at Kyoto.

Torii gate leading up the trails

Iwatayama Monkey Park


6 stops later on the JR Sagano Line and I had arrived, it took 16 minutes in total. After walking for 15 minutes I was at the entrance to the park, it was then a further 20 minutes up the hill to where the monkeys actually are with an admission cost of ¥500Yen (£3.40). There are around Japanese macaque monkeys living here and they eat fallen seeds, mature leaves and fruit. I really enjoyed this and its also possible to feed them for ¥100Yen (70p).

Japanese macaque monkeys

Bamboo Forest


I walked back across Arashiyama to the Bamboo forest entrance. This is free to enter and well worth a visit to see the height of these trees. You can walk all the way through and there is a train station on the other side but this is not connected to the JR line, so this would require 2 separate tickets to get back to Kyoto.

Bamboo Forest

I made my way back to the hotel to collect my luggage for the return Shinkansen bullet train to Tokyo. It was also raining in Tokyo but thankfully a taxi transfer to the hotel was included.

My video from this day can be found here:

 

Next Day: Leaving Asia to go home. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my travel Videos from 2014-2019

South America: Ep 03 - Valparaiso Day Trip

1 month to go until China!