Location: Poland

Warsaw

My most recent visit to Poland was part of Expat Explore's Northern Explorer tour. We spent 1.5 days here with the first evening consisting of a meal with the group and walking tour. The 2nd day was a full free day to do as we please with some optional activities provided by the company. One of the optionals I joined was a Nysa Van tour of the city. This is a type of van produced in Poland between 1958-1994 which we used to see the sights of the city. This tour gives you an insight into what it was like in communist times. In the evening I chose to tour the National stadium and meet up with a friend who I had met a few years prior in Norway.

Nysa Van.
PGE Narodowy National Stadium.

My video from Warsaw can be found here:


Krakow

My first time in Poland was to Krakow in 2015, this was part of Expat Explore's Eastern Highlights tour. We had travelled from the Czech Republic and I remember the traffic was quite bad after some motorway maintenance slowed us down. Because of this we had to change the itinerary but I didn't mind too much as I was unsure what I wanted to do on the free day. In the evening when we eventually arrived we had a walking tour of the city.

Wawel Castle, Krakow

Auschwitz

We travelled to Auschwitz concentration camp on the free day in Krakow instead of the day before because of the traffic problem I mentioned. Getting to walk around here is definitely an experience, and without a doubt one of Europe's darkest memories. We then travelled to Birkenau just around the corner which is also used by Nazi Germany in World War 2. The local tour guide here was excellent and very knowledgable and her English was very good.

Auschwitz Concentration Camp entrance.

In the evening with also visited a UNESCO world heritage site Wieliczka Salt Mine. This was very impressive to see and was better than I expected by the end of walking through the tunnels.

My video from Krakow and Auschwitz can be found here:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All my travel Videos from 2014-2019

South America: Ep 03 - Valparaiso Day Trip

1 month to go until China!